Construction - Highways Maintenance Apprenticeship
SQS is a family run Company that has grown into a leading reinstatement and surfacing solutions provider in London, the Home Counties and the South East. With a 20-year track record in providing high quality reinstatement and highways maintenance services, SQS continues to be at the forefront of quality, innovation and performance in the industry.
We are in the process of recruiting for our 2023/24 Apprentices to complete the Highways Maintenance Apprenticeship. We are looking for up to 15 Apprentices who will report to the Client Contract Manager and following some initial training, will commence carrying out Highways Excavation and Reinstatement processes in the highway network.
This will include work both in bituminous materials and paved surfaces, back-fill and spoil removal will also form part of the job role. You will need to achieve Functional Skills at level 1 in English and maths and work towards Level 2 if they do not already have these qualifications or the equivalent
Apprentices will be recruited on a fixed term basis and the duration of the scheme is dependent on the length of time it takes them to complete the course, but we expect this to be at least a year but within 18 months. Successful Apprentices will have every opportunity to be considered for a full-time established role with SQS.
This is a great opportunity to join a fast paced growing business and we are looking for people with the following skills, experience and attitude:
- Understand and follow SQS Safe Work Procedures, to ensure your own safety and safety of others.
- Excavate holes and trenches in the public highway, conforming to current legislation
- Install street ironwork
- Search for and mark underground services
- Understand and implement workplace health, safety, welfare and environment
- Safe operation of powered tools and equipment
- Understand and implement signing, lighting and guarding to current legislation
- Conform and contribute to productive working practices
- Reinstate excavation and highways surfaces to current specification
- Assist with recording work activities on hand held electronic devices
- Assist with basic vehicle and plant checks
Skills and Experience
- Acts and behaves safely
- Takes personal responsibility for work produced and escalates concerns when appropriate
- Willing to work within The SQS Safe Systems of Work
- Ensures work is accurate, timely and prepared to the appropriate required standards
- Good basic practical skills
- Basic Numeracy and Literacy
- Basic understanding of Health and Safety
- Responsible and mature attitude
- Good communication and personal skills
- To carry out any other reasonable duties that may be directed or implied from time to time commensurate to the post and/or organisational requirement.
All applicants need to be at least 18 years old due to Health and Safety restrictions and must hold a full driving license with access to a vehicle.